How to Apply
Online & Evening Programs
Funding Graduate School
IRL @ UMSL
Oral Defense Announcements
Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate Research Fair
Three Minute Thesis
Open Student Meetings
Grad Studies Info Session
Dual Degree 2+3
Life Long Learner
Graduate Faculty Members
Graduate Program Directors
About the Graduate School
- Only students in good academic standing are eligible for travel awards.
- The Graduate school will provide funding only for attendance at conferences that are international, national, or (in rare cases) regional in scope. Travel to local meetings is not eligible. The advisor or graduate program director is asked to document the importance of the meeting within the discipline. The scope of the meeting is typically defined by the affiliations of the speakers, particularly invited speakers.
- The maximum award from the graduate school is $400. Smaller amounts may be awarded based on the actual costs of attending the meeting or in cases of a meeting with more limited scope/importance.
- Funds will only be provided for students who are presenting a talk or poster at the meeting or actively participating in some other format.
- There must be a commitment of matching funds from outside the Graduate School, typically from grant funds of the student’s advisor, the home department, and/or the home college. There is no strict requirement of a minimum amount of matching funds, but the ratio of matching funds to Graduate School funds will be considered in the award decision.
- A student may receive only one travel award in a fiscal year. The UMSL fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. The date of the travel award is defined as the first day of the meeting
The Graduate School travel award is a reimbursement and is posted to a student account once the student has returned from their conference and submitted their trip receipts. The travel award will apply towards any fees already owed on a students account and the difference if any will be refunded. If no fees are owed, the full amount of the travel award will be refunded.
Departments:All funding listed on an approved graduate school travel form will be submitted to the Financial Aid office for posting to the students account. If a student does not qualify for a graduate school travel award, any funding provided by the department should be paid through Financial Aid onto the students account. A request for payment should be submitted directly to the Financial Aid office.