How to Apply
Evening & Online Programs
Funding Graduate School
IRL @ UMSL
Oral Defense Announcements
Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate Research Fair
Three Minute Thesis
Open Student Meetings
Grad Studies Info Session
Graduate Faculty Members
Graduate Program Directors
About the Graduate School
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I get the forms?
All forms may be downloaded from our website.
Do I have to sign electronically?
No, you do not have to sign electronically. The form can be printed out and signed by hand - but the submission must be via your UMSL e-mail.
How do I know if my form has been received by the Graduate School?
There are a couple of ways you can tell that your form has been received:
- You've received an e-mail from GradSchoolForms indicating that the form has been received. You should retain this email in an easily accessible place for reference.
- A Milestone has been added in MyView, in the Student Services Center.
- You can access your Student Services Center by logging into MyView and clicking Main Menu > Self Service > Student Center
- If your form has been received a milestone will have been added (takes up to a week to add this milestone to your account, so please be sure to submit well before the deadline).
- This Milestone will show as Not Completed. All graduation is incomplete until the semester has ended and grades have been entered. If there is a Milestone - we have received your form.
After your form is evaluated, you will be notified via your UMSL e-mail. You will typically hear from the Graduate School about the status of your Application[s] to Graduate, 4 to 6 weeks after the deadline for submission. Forms and Deadlines can be found here.
How do I know if everything is O.K.?
After it is evaluated, you will be notified via your UMSL e-mail. You will typically hear from the Graduate School about the status of your Application[s] to Graduate, 4 to 6 weeks after the deadline for submission. Forms and Deadlines can be found here.
Commencement is the graduation ceremony - participating in the commencement ceremony does not guarantee that you will receive your degree.
The final day to for grades to be entered is always the week after commencement, for all degrees - except for doctoral degrees. Doctoral degrees are awarded at commencement. Master's, Ed. Specialist Degrees and Graduate Certificates will be awarded after all grades are entered and degree requirements have been met.
When is Commencement?
Information about the ceremonies can be found at www.umsl.edu/commencement
How do I get a cap and gown?
You can register online here - http://www.umsltritonstore.com/c-310-graduation.aspx
Caps, gowns, and master's hoods will also be available at the University Bookstore during and after the Grad Fair. You will receive information concerning the fair about midpoint during the semester.
I received my diploma in August, when there was no commencement ceremony. How can I participate in a commencement ceremony?
If you are a Master's student, you can participate in either May or December's commencement ceremony. In order to participate, you'll need to register at the Bookstore.
If you are a doctoral student, all of your requirements must be fulfilled before participating in commencement. This means that if you complete the requirements for your degree in August, you can choose to participate in the doctoral ceremony in August - or the full ceremony in December.
I won't be at commencement, how do I get my diploma?
All diplomas and graduate certificates are mailed to students 6 to 8 weeks after the ceremony regardless of participation.